Monday, July 13, 2009

Passion or The Motions

The other day, Ricci said to me "you don't get excited about anything".....and boy, did that my attention. I had to stop and think about that. I really don't get excited about anything. I remember when my dad bought me my first car, I just kind of stood there, looked at it and said, "thanks". I'm not your jump up and down, "contagious" kind of person. My moods and emotions rarely swing. I'm pretty much the same all of the time. I might describe myself as boring and yet I would like to think that makes me real easy to live with. :) I don't know. Nevertheless, his comment got me thinking about "passion" - a powerful or compelling emotion, fire or fervency. What am I passionate about? Because of my personality type, it is very easy for me to just go through the motions and get everything checked off my list. I am a worker bee, "get 'er done" kind of person - a Martha, for you biblical scholars.

So I ask, what are YOU passionate about? What is it you could spend hours and hours doing? Do you wake up feeling enthusiastic about life? Is the first day of the week your favorite or do you live from weekend to weekend? How long has it been since you couldn't sleep because you were too excited about an idea?

You can never lead something you don't care passionately about. You can't start a fire unless one is first burning in you. I have found that I spend way too much time doing things I am not passionate about.

There are many things that will catch your eye but few things that will catch your heart. Put your time and energy into those things. Associate with people of passion. As corny as that may sound, birds of a feather flock together.....and might I remind you of 1 Corinthians 15:33 "bad company corrupts good character". Be careful who you surround yourself with. Those people can either be your lifeline and help you press on in your journey or drag you down the wrong road. If you've lost your fire, get around some fire-starters. Passion is contagious.

I am asking the Lord to reignite the passion of His people....to reignite MY passion. I don't want to just go through "The Motions". I love this song by Matthew West:


I don't wanna go through the motions
I don't wanna go one more day
Without Your all consuming passion inside of me
I don't wanna spend my whole life asking
What if I had given everything?
Instead of going through the motions

This might hurt, it's not safe
But I know that I've gotta make a change
I don't care if I break at least I'll be feeling something
'Cause just ok is not enough
Help me fight through the nothingness of life

No regrets not this time
I'm gonna let my heart defeat my mind
Let Your love make me whole
I think I'm finally feeling something
'Cause just ok is not enough

Help me fight through the nothingness of life

No comments: